Recipe for Meskouta - A Moroccan Orange Olive Oil Cake
Created by Yasmina Ksikes, Chef of Lalla Mina in Los Angeles, using Moroccan Olive Grove's 'Bright & Fruity' olive oil and maple syrup. Meskouta, also known as Kika, is the star at Mahlabas - the iconic cafes in Morocco. You'll love Yasmina's version - it's rich in citrus and floral notes followed by flavors of olive oil, almond, and coconut. Give it a try - it's easy to make and delightful!
4 eggs (whites separated)
3⁄4 cup of Moroccan Olive Grove Bright & Fruity Olive Oil
1⁄2 cup of maple syrup
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tbsp of flax seed meal
1 1⁄2 tsp of baking powder
1⁄2 cup of orange juice
2 tsp orange zest
1 tsp of ginger
1 tsp of cinnamon
Pinch of turmeric
Pinch of cayenne
1 tsp of apricot jam diluted with 1 tbsp of orange blossom water
2 tsp of shredded coconut
2 tsp of toasted sliced almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and butter and flour the cake mold.
2. Beat egg white until peaks form, then set aside.
3. In a large bowl beat oil, maple syrup, and egg yolks.
4. Stir flour and baking powder and spice mix.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the egg batter and incorporate well.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake and bake for 35-40 mins.
7. Allow the cake to cool.
8. Inverse and spread the diluted apricot jam
9. Garnish with coconut, almonds, and a few orange slices, and drizzle some Moroccan olive oil over the top.
Courtesy of The French Farm
Click to Order: Moroccan Olive Grove Bright & Fruity Olive Oil