2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups maple syrup, divided
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cups mascarpone cheese
2/3 cup dark chocolate shavings
1/4 cup whiskey or scotch
14 lady fingers
Method of Preparation:
1. Cover a loaf pan with plastic wrap.
2. In a large bowl, whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks. Refrigerate.
3. In another bowl, combine 1 cup maple syrup, cocoa powder and the mascarpone cheese. With an electric mixer, whip this mixture at medium speed until all the ingredients are well mixed. Add the chocolate shavings and mix slightly.
4. Using a spatula, fold in the whipped cream gently.
5. In a bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup maple syrup and the whiskey or scotch. (The spirit will allow the dessert to freeze in a slush fashion but not as hard as an ice cube).
6. Dip the lady fingers in this maple syrup mixture - do not let them soak too much - and cover the bottom of the loaf pan with the lady fingers.
7. Make a second row with the maple syrup mixture dipped lady fingers. Press lightly.
8. Cover lady fingers with the mascarpone cheese mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze at least 5 hours.
9. At serving time, cut into large slices and serve with whipped cream or garnish of your choice.