$2 Million Agreement to Expand Exports; Grow Economy
April 17, 2015 11:00 A.M.
Ontario's 2015 Agri-Food Trade Mission to China is yielding a new business agreement for one of the province's most iconic edible exports, maple syrup and maple products.
Today, Ministers Jeff Leal and Michael Chan met with representatives from Ontario's Futurevic Global Sourcing and China's Shijiazhuang Junlebao Dairy Company. The two companies have committed to purchasing $2 million worth of Ontario maple products over the next two years. In 2014, Ontario's total global exports of maple products totalled $1.9 million.
This important agreement will help build the overseas appetite for Ontario maple syrup and maple products, including maple butter, taffy, candy, sauces and maple sap drinks.
The Agri-Food Trade Mission to China is helping to fulfill the Premier's Agri-Food Growth Challenge, which calls on the sector to double its rate of growth and create 120,000 new jobs by 2020.
Helping Ontario's agri-food businesses compete globally is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
" Maple syrup is one of our province’s oldest traditional agricultural products and we are proud to share this delicious product with the world. This agreement will help open new doors for the sector, building up new markets for Ontario maple syrup and maple products."
- Jeff Leal
Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
" Helping small and medium-sized businesses like Futurevic successfully tap into the Chinese market is the primary goal of Ontario’s Going Global Trade Strategy. This agreement provides a huge opportunity for Ontario’s maple syrup producers to access a key export market where there is a growing desire for Canadian maple syrup."
- Michael Chan
Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and International Trade
- Futurevic Global Sourcing Inc. is an Ontario company leading in importing, exporting and strategic sourcing in Canadian, US, and Chinese markets. The Shijiazhuang Junlebao Dairy Company is one of the largest dairy enterprises in China’s Hebei Province.
- In Ontario, maple syrup is produced primarily between mid- February and early April, from the sap of four species of maple tree. During Ontario’s harvest season, more than 1.5 million litres of syrup is made.
- Ontario is one of the top three producing areas in Canada, with more than $25 million in farm gates sales of maple products.
- It takes approximately 40 litres of maple sap to make 1 litre of maple syrup.
- In 2014, the agri-food sector grew by 17,000 jobs and increased exports by $648 million.
Bryan Bossin Minister Leal’s Office
Susin Micallef OMAFRA Communications
Bryan Leblanc Minister Chan’s Office
Laura Sylvis MCIIT Communications